Monday, June 13, 2005

 

I AM GRATEFUL

By Edith Fitch

Even though I'm hearing-impaired, I'm thankful for my keen senses of smell, taste, and touch. I'm most thankful for glasses that improve my sense of sight and help me in lipreading and anticipating sounds.

I've never heard a robin announcing "Spring is here," nor have I heard the "cheer-up" messages of any songbirds. But I'm thankful I can see the birds and the many beauties in nature. I don't have to hear the rustle of leaves to enjoy their vibrant fall colors or their vivid springtime shades of green. I don't have to hear the ocean roar (does it really?) to feel the mighty power of each wave cresting and breaking. I don't have to hear syrup boiling on the stove to savor the taste of candy in the making.

When I started school I acted the part, pretending to enjoy giggling and whispering secrets with my friends. All my life I strove to act like one with acute hearing, without revealing I was a sham. In spite of my deception, I'm thankful for being accepted by a host of friends.

I have difficulty participating in group conversations, but I'm thankful for those who keep me tuned in by repeating what I miss. And I'm thankful to those who give me a facial view and speak slowly rather than embarrassingly louder.

I can't watch TV and do needlework or prepare a meal at the same time. Neither can I enjoy the chatter in group activities and work efficiently at the same time. But I'm thankful for 24 hours in a day in which to accomplish the priorities in my life-one thing at a time. And I'm thankful I can work and live an independent life.

It's easy to be thankful to those who have been tolerant, kind, and helpful in my hearing loss. Although distasteful at the time, I'm now most grateful to those who were firm with me when I wanted to be spared the stress encountered in hearing situations. These disciplinarians can be credited for pushing me beyond what I might have attained.

Thank You, Lord, for blessings too numerous to mention.

------------------------------------------

To you, our good Lord is giving
Many blessings here below;
May on bended knee before Him

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?