Wednesday, June 15, 2005

 

MERCY

Contributed by Sally I. Kennedy



"Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?" Matthew 18:33

Once a week I meet for share-and-prayer. Last time we met, a regular in the group brought a visitor without checking first to see if it would be okay. That is my special place to share candidly. I felt intimidated with a new person present, and was reluctant to say much when it was my turn. The whole time I was thinking, "Forgive her for bringing her friend. Bless, not curse. I forgive her."

That evening, I was reading one of Corrie Ten Boom's books, in which she shared a story about forgiving someone who had wronged her in a letter. A friend told her to "forgive, and 'burn the black and white'." Symbolicly, I 'burned the black and white', and forgave my friend. Just then, these words came into my mind: "Mercy triumphs over righteousness." I thought, "What does that have to do with anything?" With my 'spiritual ears', I heard, "It's better to err on the side of mercy." It hit me. It's not about forgiveness. It's not about being right or wrong. It's about mercy.

I remembered a story where the ruling church criticized Jesus. They said, in essence, "What nerve you have! Picking grain and eating it on the Sabbath. That is clearly against the rules. What's the matter with you? You know better!" To which, Jesus replied, "We were hungry. Was man made for the sabbath, or sabbath for the man?"

I think I got it. My friend brought her guest along and looked at it as a kindness toward her. She had shown mercy. Mercy! Mercy triumphs over righteousness. Mercy triumphs over judgement. Thank God we have a merciful God. How I want to be like Him.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?