Monday, June 13, 2005

 

ON FAIR PLAY

By Maxwell Maltz, M.D.,F.I.C.S
from his book: Thoughts to Live By

The title of one of Charles Reade's novels is "Put Yourself in His Place."

You will be a happy human being if you make a habit of living with these five words until the practice becomes second nature to you. These five words, lived, not read, will put you on the road to maturity and self-fulfillment, because you will think twice before passing judgment on someone else who has a point of view different from yours and who wants to stand for his rights as you do for yours.

At a moment of stress when you are overcome with doubt and unbelief, when you are overcome with aggressiveness and fear, at that moment when you are ready to denounce someone, say to yourself, "What would I do if I were in his place?" Fight for your rights if you must, but don't fight for something wrong out of hatred or revenge.

Friendship is desperately needed in these chaotic times; and the first light and glow of friendship with others starts when, at a moment of irrationality, you ask yourself, "What would I do if I were in his place?"

Most important, you must have a sense of fair play with yourself. Never denounce yourself because of an important error; never become a displaced person because of it. At such time, ask yourself as you look in the mirror, "Would I do this to my best friend?"

----------------

DEAR GOD, when I communicate with others help me to be quick to listen and slow to speak. Give me an open mind and an understanding heart. When I speak, help not to be judgmental and condemning. May I strive to know first both sides of the issue before I pass judgment or form my own opinion. Help me to be gentle whenever I want to put across my thoughts, and help me to discern how I am to respond. Give me the right words to say that precisely convey the feelings of my heart without ever being offensive or rude to my family and to others. Make me a happy human being by living with these five words, "What would I do if I were in his place?"

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?