Wednesday, June 15, 2005

 

A SOLDIER'S PRAYER

(Larry Walker, Tommy Oliver)
Jun 5, 2005



One hot desert morning at dawn's early light While trudging through the sand I found a piece of paper Clutched in a young man's hand



And upon that paper the words he wrote
Were not filled with despair
Just thoughts from the heart of a brave young lad He called it, "A Soldier's Prayer"



I took the paper from his hand and read it aloud.



Will there be a place in heaven
For a person such as me
Who, through youth and the love of life… Isn't all you'd have me be?



I've been a man but a short time now
And I'll ask you this, if I might
Isn't fighting for freedom's cause
A fight that's always right?



The men I've killed, some things I've done Are not things I've wanted to do But a job I believe had to be done By we who believe in you



I had those thoughts upon my mind
When I heard that deadly sound
Then, all around me, one by one
My friends fell to the ground



Somehow I knew before it hit
Fear ran up my spine
I felt the blast tearing my side
I knew this one was mine



There'll be much grief for loved ones at home When they learn that I am dead Please ease their pain and let them know These things that I have said



Time's run out, I can feel death's sting Oh, God, please hear my plea Let there be a place in heaven For a person such as me



Lord, this is the chaplain, I'm here with this lad Our country's given the finest it had We who are older and have studied your word Know this boy's prayer is more than just heard It is answered with your love And the promise that there'll be A special place in heaven For a person such as he.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?