Saturday, June 18, 2005

 

WHEN MINE LETS GO

By John Coen

As I watched my six-year-old Whitney walk down the driveway, pony tail bobbing, I wanted to run out and stop her. I knew I was over-reacting. After all she was only getting on the school bus to start first grade.

Part of me realized it was time for me not to push her out of nest, but at least to let her try her wings. But letting go is very difficult. Had my wife Cherry and I prepared her for the adventure she was just now starting?

I worry about being prepared for everything. I remember when I decided to get married, when we wanted to start having children, when we took over full management of our farm, every time we've planted a new crop. I fussed over countless details on all these occasions: "Have I covered everything? Am I ready?" But the time came when I just had to do it. We got married, we had children, we took over the farm, we planted those seeds in the ground...we waved goodbye to our new first-grader.

I thought about this all day today. I'm never really prepared for everything-- and that's where God helps me. His hand takes over when mine lets go. Cherry and I have done our best, and now we have to have faith in God's guidance.

And a little faith in Whitney, too She's running up the driveway now, and judging from the look on her face, she's had a successful first day of school -- without my fatherly help.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?