Friday, June 17, 2005

 

YOU INVITED THEM

By Teresa Schantz

I felt as if I were trapped in a scene from the movie "The Birds." Nearly fifty sparrows and robins in trees all around me appeared strangely menacing, waiting for another kernel of my popcorn to fall to the ground. Laughing nervously, I asked my dad, who was visiting, "How did they all get here?"

How did they all get here? I wasn't just thinking of the birds. My mind was also playing host to fears I was feeling about my life. At first, it was just one fear: that I'd fail at my new job because I couldn't keep up with the pressures. Next it was the fear that I'd be trapped at this job because I needed the money and security. Then I could see myself enslaved to work, without friends or family, and all alone in my old age. My fears were slowly paralyzing me, and now I was even fearful of being held captive by a few sparrows and robins.

My father's answer interrupted my thoughts. "How did they get here? You invited them, silly!"

I had, of course. I'd tossed popcorn to the first little bird, and quickly the others arrived. Just as with my fears, I had invited that first one, allowed it to stay, indulged it by letting it feed on my anxiety, and quickly the others arrived. I turned again to my father and asked, "How do I get rid of them?"

"Just leave them." I knew right then that I was hosting the wrong guests. That night, instead of entertaining a fitful sleep, I renewed my invitation to my Lord: "I sought the Lord, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears" (Psalm 34:4). The next day at the office I made a sign for my desk to remind me. It read:

DO NOT FEED THE FEARS

No, I wouldn't. I knew with Whom to leave them now.

"FATHER, I know that your love casts out fear, and that with Your help I can confront them and walk away into confident leaving."

P.S. With fear in its "proper" place, I was able to take some meaningful action at work. I sought my boss' help and together, we restructured the duties and hired an assistant.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?